Time

Sunday 19 January 2014

Make Own Curtain

Making my own curtains isn’t too hard.
I start by choosing a fabric and deciding how much to buy. I brought organza fabric from Nagoya Textile.

Before I get started with the scissors and tapes, figure out the perfect door drape to fit my need and decor may help.

Measurement  Single Door treatment width.

I decide where the treatment will extend — to the edge of the frame, 1 inch outside the frame, or even 3 or more inches, depending on the look . Measured from the edge of the extension on one side to the edge of the extension on the other side of the door. Divide the total in half if my treatment will separate in the middle.

Once I measured the door, use a marker to mark the areas that needs to be cut. For double-paneled door,  will need to cut the fabric into two equal halves. Remember to leave an inch or two along the edges for hems. For single paneled doors, it’s best to keep the in as one single sheet.

Next, folded the edges of  my drape at least half inch backwards and hem sew the two long sides and one short side with sewing machine, leaving one short side unstitched.

For most treatments that require fullness, the fabric for my width needs to be 2-1/2 times the width of this measurement.

Add 2 inches if you plan to have 1/2-inch side hems, 4 inches if you plan to have 1-inch side hems.

For my length, I measured from the top of  the  mounted rod or pole to where I want the treatment to end , to the floor.

For the top and bottom hem, double the measurement of my desired hem depth and add it to the total length. For example, for a 1-inch hem, add 2 inches.

To calculate the heading (the extra, decorative fabric that extends above the rod sleeve or other casing), if necessary, double the desired measurement.

For example,I took  for a 3-inch heading, add 6 inches to  length.



I  needed curtain rods and hooks to hang my drapes. I also used curtain loop to hang my drape. For that, I   folded the top end of my curtain towards the back and stitch it. A 1 inch wide rod will need a 2 inch pocket. So, before I stitch the pocket, roll the top end of the curtain around the rod and mark out the lines to allow maximum room for the rod to slide in.

My personalized curtains are ready to grace the door!



No comments:

Post a Comment

nuffnang